Saturday, February 8, 2014

Happy Birthday to A Beautiful Friend!

I have discovered a whole new meaning of the idea of "old."

If you have a lifelong friend, think about the amount of time he or she has been in your life.  For me, I'm just on the other side of thirty. 

And my closest friend whom I've known the longest is celebrating her 32nd birthday today.  Cheers, Kristin

So, considering the average lifespan, we're still relatively young.  Or at least, that's how I feel.

But then I realized... having met on the playground in second grade:

We have been friends for TWENTY FIVE YEARS.

That's over twice as long as most of my students have been alive.

It's a quarter century.  Our friendship is the same age as someone who has been legally allowed to drink for the past four years.

If our friendship was an automobile operator, it would now be eligible for cheaper insurance.

As old as this makes me feel, I wouldn't change it for anything.  If you are lucky enough to have a friendship like this one, you understand it's like a favorite pair of jeans.  You can go weeks or even months without any in-depth contact, but the moment you slip back in, it's a perfect fit.  We don't have to talk every day to get right back into the real stuff when we see each other.  Kristin has always been there for me.  We've laughed and cried together.  We remained friends not only throughout grade school through graduation, but went to college together, too, living as roommates for our freshman and sophomore years.

It's hard to believe that it's been ten years since our college graduation.

It's all been said before.  Time flies.  Time waits for no man.  There's nothing new or profound I could write to capture it any better than the millions of writers, artists, and others who have already done it before me.

But if you haven't considered lately, take a moment and do so:

Are you treasuring the gift that is your time?

It's so easy to forget that it's a present-- in the midst of hectic work weeks, looming deadlines, jam packed schedules.  I am guilty of trying to merely "make it through" a day or a week or even a month, looking forward to the next Saturday or the next special occasion or the next anything.  But the truth is, doing that is the same as wishing your life away.

Instead of trying to make it through, we should be trying to make the most of every moment.

Because tomorrows aren't guaranteed.  Nothing is certain in this life, and very few things are forever.

Thanks for being a forever friend, Kris.  I love you.

 
Kristin and I, 1999.  From our junior year in high school, courtesy of the IRHS yearbook.
 
 
                                                   And our most recent girl's night.  2013. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the sweetest words ever. I'm glad to have made it this far to share such fond memories and look forward to a couple quarter of centuries more. I love you like whoa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like whoa, indeed! Hope your day is fantastamazing! Much love <3

      Delete